On Mar. 1, 2023, the CMA announced changes to its CMA Joule offerings, including a redesign of our physician leadership program to better align with our advocacy priorities and support physicians in driving system-level change. We look forward to sharing the updated program in the future.
Build the leadership skills and networks you need to achieve your goals at any stage of your career.
We offer a variety of leadership programs to meet your needs, fit your schedule and match your learning preferences. The Physician Leadership Institute (PLI) offers accredited leadership learning for individuals through open-enrolment courses and for teams and organizations through tailored programs. PLI courses are led by an expert faculty of physician leaders and industry practitioners and are aligned to the nationally-recognized LEADS in a Caring Environment framework.
All open enrolment courses will be offered virtually until further notice. Class sizes are limited for an optimal learning and networking experience
Elevate the skills of your whole group with team training. PLI courses can be tailored to meet the unique needs of your health care team, organization or conference. Deliver CPD-accredited learning at scale!
Open enrolment courses
Learn on your schedule and make connections with peers from across the country. Courses are open to all physicians, with both CMA members and residents receiving a discounted rate.
Upcoming facilitated courses
Explore the full listing of PLI courses and add your name to the waitlist to be notified when registration opens.
- Advocacy for change
- Building and leading teams
- Coaching for excellence
- Conflict management and negotiation
- Creating healthy work culture through trauma-informed leadership
- Crucial Accountability© online — a Crucial Learning© product
- Crucial Conversations© online — a Crucial Learning© product
- Developing and leading system improvement
- Dollars and sense
- Engaging others
- Influence and advocacy
- Insights Discovery®: Understanding your personality preferences
- Leadership begins with self-awareness
- Leadership focus
- Leadership for medical women
- Leadership strategies for sustainable physician engagement
- Leading change
- Leading high performance culture
- Leading sustainable health systems
- Leading with emotional intelligence
- Leveraging social media for change
- Patient-partnered care
- Personal leadership: Identifying your core values and vision
- Polarity management: Adaptive leadership for competing priorities
- Social systems leadership: Thriving in complexity
- Strength-based leadership
Already registered for a course?
Access our Learning Management System.
Certify your commitment to leadership
Members that complete five PLI courses in five years can qualify for a certificate of recognition.
Accredited continuing professional development
All courses are accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada for their Maintenance of Certification Program (MOC) and the College of Family Physicians of Canada for Maintenance of Proficiency (Mainpro+).